Monday, January 01, 2007

Out with the Old, in with the New

First, a thanks to all those who e-mailed me and encouraged me to continue. That includes 'jeff' from the previous post. After a holiday break which saw me move into a new home, get sick (at the same time), unpack and still have a decent Christmas for the kids, I feel surprising ready to return to blogging

As you can see I have gone for a new look and a few changes. I am including links to some of my other intellectual passions beyond politics (but definitely related to them):

The Skeptics Society, of which I am a member, takes science and critical thinking to the extreme. As it should. Expect a lot of links to their sources and their data.

Question everything.

Make is the ultimate DIY magazine for hardware and software hackers. It can be seen as libertarian cooperation and anti-corporatist and ethics in action.

If you can't open it, you don't own it.

Skepticality is the official podcast of the Skeptics society and provides fantastic links, interviews and reviews of books related to science and to fight ignorance and pseudoscience.

People will believe anything. Why is that?

The James Randi Educational Foundation shows over and over how dangerous and silly some of these beliefs are. He debunks with humour and reason.

The $1 Million dollars remains unclaimed.

And perhaps strangely to some, I've begun to lean toward a left-libertarian view of things. Now, no worries, I'm no Jay Jardine, but guys like Kevin Carson and Larry Gambone have a refreshing take on voluntary association, mutualism and alternatives to both 'public' state-run and 'private' corporate-run services and solutions. Definitely worth a look. Also, it dovetails nicely with 'Make'

Thanks for the book, Ian.

Personally, I intend to blog beyond party politics and the left-right dichotomy we find ourselves in all the time. I will try to be more logical and reasonable in tone, with a healthy dose of snark when needed. And for those who are illogical and unreasonable, no quarter will be given. Oh, I'll be polite, but don't expect to have punches pulled.

And mostly I will go beyond partisanship. Though I remain a Dipper, I am none too fond of Jack Layton of late and I am more than willing to be critical of some of our policies and stances. I will be equally kind to the other parties should it ever happen that I ever agree with what they stand for.

So, anything happen while I was gone?

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

At 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suggest, for a classical liberal perspective, the UK Liberal Democrat blogs Liberal England and A Liberal goes a long way. Liberal England's archives, really, rather than the new content.

http://liberalengland.blogspot.com
http://oxfordliberal.blogspot.com

The Liberal Democrats are certainly left wing in British politics, but the two above represent the best of the 'free-market' wing which is a non-authoritarian and sensible use of market based economics to provide public good.


And hey, welcome back! I hope you show up at Bloggers Hotstove podcast again. Oh, and if you could convince them to change the name because I've tried and failed.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Oxford County Liberals said...

Hey, whats wrong with calling it the Bloggers Hotstove? I kinda like the name myself.

Oh, and Mike.. ditto on the welcome back

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger April Reign (aka Debra) said...

Good to see you back!

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Mike said...

So either you guys are still drunk or New Years isn't what it used to be, eh?

;)

Thanks guys.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Robert McClelland said...

It's good to see you're hanging around.

Though I remain a Dipper, I am none too fond of Jack Layton of late and I am more than willing to be critical of some of our policies and stances.

Hopefully it will be constructive criticism. Griping without suggesting alternative solutions is something that's best left to conservatives and liberals.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Rob, of course. Offering alternatives is what its all about. Please, if I start sounding like a Lib or a Con, feel free to call me on it.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Godammitkitty said...

Yaaaaaay! {and there was much rejoicing}
Best wishes to you & your family in 2007 :) --GDK/H&O

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Nastyboy said...

I remember way back when the Amazing Randi conspired with Johnny Carson (who started in show biz as a magician) to debunk Yuri Geller on national tv.

Just before Geller was to go on they replaced the props he supplied to demonstrate his "powers", with ones they bought off the shelf.

Needless to say without his doctored props, Geller failed miserably at every attempt to display his amazing "psychic powers".

Love that man.

Happy New Year Mike.

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you back! :)

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger catnip said...

Welcome back Mike!

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger Alison said...

"Jesus is coming - look busy"

I just knew that comment was from you.

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back, Mike!

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Welcome back Mike! We missed you.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger James Curran said...

It's soooo nice to be "liked" and "missed" isn't it?

Welcome back to the frey.

Now, if we can only convince Bowie to return.

All the best in 2007 to you.

The What Do I Know Grit.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

My favourite leftie is back. (Hah! Take that)

Life is good.

Blog on.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Candace said...

Welcome back, Mike! And go easy on those bacon-wrapped sausages, bad for the arteries & heart ;-)

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger Tim said...

Welcome back Mike...

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger JG said...

Welcome back! Canadian blogging would have been less without you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home