Sunday, August 27, 2006

Live Blogging Chicago

Well today I get to test all the new super-secure airport security measures. I am currently sitting at the 'Senate Chambers' Bar and Cafe near Gate 12, awaiting my 16:41 flight to Chicago.

14:15 : Well, luckily I got to YOW about 2.5 hours early. Still, with only 3 people ahead of me, it took nearly 40 minutes to get my tickets and get through security. And yes I had to take my shoes off - but I wore my old socks, bastards, smell that! Its been said before, but I'll say it again, thank god he wasn't an underwear bomber.

Now, time for a beer and some waiting for my flight to Chicago.

15:27: One beer down, another on the go. The Jays won on a Grand slam. There are a bunch of poor bastards here at Ottawa airport who are desparately trying to get to New Jersey and every 20 minutes their flight keeps getting delayed, postponed. There are a lot of angry people around me right now.

Other observations:

Wifi cost $10 CA for 24 hours. Of course I'll only be here for another hour or so so it really is't a great deal.

Whatever you do, don't try to fly standby today. The women sitting next to me has been here for 4 hours and the airline person that spoke to her informed her that they may not be able to get her on a flight today. She seems quite resignd to her fate. I suspect I'll see here back here at the bar when I come back on Thursday night.

More later, hopefully before I leave.

Update:

I don't do "Live blogging" very well...see above

5 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger bigcitylib said...

Chicago. Is that the airport with exactly one ATM? I recall having to walk half a mile to get some U.S. money one time.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Mike said...

BCL,

I remeber that from my last trip in 2000...got my US money hear before I left.

:)

Also, since this is 'bidness', it goes on the corporate card.

Now, I'll sit back and let the idea of a Dipper with a corporate card sink in...

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey - that makes two of us! :D

Dippers with corporate cards. What will we think of next? Maybe people will start to realize that we don't want to destroy private business in Canada... nah, too many seem determined to believe that.

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger John Murney said...

Have a good trip, Mike!

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Idealistic Pragmatist said...

I have a university card--does that count? Although the monthly bill comes to me...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home