Monday, October 03, 2005

Another Meme Post....

Well, thanks to Pig v Swine and Tim, I've been sucked into another meme post.

So, here it is:

1. If money were no object, what would you be doing with your life?

Well that's a bit tough. Writing, hacking, Kung Fu, travelling and generally playing with my kids. Building Robots would be kinda fun too.

2. Money is just that - an object, so why aren't you doing it?

That object is required to exchange for food and shelter for my dependant children and wife. Sorta need to keep working to provide that. I could just become a Kwai Chang Cain type wanderer but abandoning your family is still frowned upon...

3. What's better: horses or cows?

Cows are better. They are cleaner and provide milk and meat. I was a stable hand at an equestrian farm when I was a teenager and watched the people that owned and lived with their horses (the barn was literally attached to the house) treat them better than people. I also had to muck the stalls.

I hate horses.

4. What do you think the secret to happiness is?

Happiness is simply being happy with what you have, making due the best you can and always fighting to do better.

Happiness is hearing my 4-year-old laugh at Mr. Bean.

Either that or a warm gun. I heard that somewhere.

5. When was the last time you had a dream that you either remember well or did not want to awake from? Can you share a bit?

I dreamt last night that I was paddling through Algonquin Park, showing my little boy how to canoe and camp. And watching him giggle and smile at all of the aninmals and nature around us.

6. When you were a little kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

An OPP officer, a doctor and an astronaut. In that order.

7. Complete this statement: Love is...

All around us. You just need to look.

8. Can you tell a good story? (write one!)

My dad has only 50% lung capacity, thanks to years of exposure to chemical vapours while working in a foundary and as a farmer. That means, sadly, that when it's too cold out, he can't breathe. So during the deer season back on the farm in the first week of December each year, he can't always "push bush" with my brother and his nieghbours. At times like this, his buddy Junior (who occasionally forgets to purchase his hunting license) drops by for a few beers and to yack.

It was one of those days a few years back, when Dad and Junior were sitting at the kitchen table, rambling on about the weather and what have you, when my Dad's new cat came in the kitchen.

Now, my Dad has not had good luck with pets, especially cats, for a long time. Our farm seems to have a pet cemetary in every orchard or unused field. Dad seems to go through cats faster than most people go through bic pens.

On this day, his latest cat, purring, walked up to him and began rubbing his leg. Dad reached down ans scratched its head.

"Your the boss of this place aren't ya?" he said.

The cat then turned and walked out into the middle of the kitchen floor, where it stopped suddenly and fell over.

Dad looked at Junior. Junior looked at Dad.

"I think that cat just died," said Junior as he leaned forward to get a better look.

"No, its just tired," Dad replied.

They both got closer and realized Junior was right. Like a paramedic team, they lept into action. They took turns giving mouth to mouth to the cat. Five times they brough the cat back and five times the cat would cough, roll its eyes and fall back dead again.

By this time, the prospect of losing another pet, combined with 4 or 5 beers, had my Dad pretty broken up. He called my Mom at work and tried to explain.

"He's dead ...*sob*...dead on the floor...*sob*.. Junior....*sob*.. on the floor."

My mother clearly had not adjusted her hearing aid.

"Junior is dead on our floor! Dear God!!!"

Mom hung up and called the OPP and an ambulance.

It took Dad and Junior an hour to explain what really happened.

9. Can you remember your last daydream? What was it about?

Being somewhere and being called upon to use my Northern Praying Mantis techniques to open a can of "Wup-ass" on someone that desparately needed it.

10. If you were to thank someone today, who would you thank?

I'd thank both my kids for being so goofy and making me laugh all the time and reminding me that its fun just being a kid. And my wife for just being her and having a couple of goofy kids.


And the new vector of infection:

I tag the Jurist at Accidental Deliberations, Greg at Sinsiter Thoughts and John Murney.

5 Comments:

At 3:23 AM, Blogger Nastyboy said...

Your Habs won tonight. Way to go . So did the Oilers. Are you as happy as I am to see both the Leafs and Flames lose?

 
At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mike! Great answers! I saw this posted somewhere else as well (I can't remember now), and thought I'd do it too. I've linked to your answers as well.

Cheers.

P.S-> The Habs are gonna be the surprise hit this year!

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Zorpheous said...

Mike, we you to help get out the vote for the SDA Awards, see the Wingnuterer for the correct ticket to vote.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Done and Done!

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OT: I missed the NDP party due to a death in the family unfortunately. How was it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home