Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My resume, as it were

Well, it appears I have been tagged by balbulican. Well in the spirit of the season of light emerging from darkness, I'll play along.

The meme is pretty simple: List all the jobs you ever have had, in order. Omit anything that may incriminate you.

So here goes:

Lawn and yard maintenance worker
Farm hand (picking stones)
Farm hand (haying)
Farm hand (hauling wood)
Farm hand (collecting eggs, feeding the chickens)
Sales Person and Manager of Production, Sarnia Cheesboards (Junior Achievement)
Grocery Stock and Bag boy
Farm hand (cleaning rotten silage)
Farm hand (harrogatting the soy beans)
Farm hand (incorporating the spray)
Stable Boy at a horse farm and riding academy
Janitor at local post office
Assembly line worker at Holmes Foundry (making engine blocks for Chrylser - Cummings Diesel)
Bouncer, Fenn Lounge - included roadie duties before and after shows
Assembly line worker at Holmes Foundry (and CAW member)
Bouncer, Fenn Lounge and Brees Inn
Reporter and Photographer, Haliburton County Echo and Minden Recorder
Sales Person - Eastview Photo
Retails sales - Blue notes, Pantorama, Balloon store on Bank street.
Bouncer, Grand Central
Loss Prevention Officer, independent
Loss Prevention, The Bay
Male Exotic Dancer (one night only - two months free rent out of the deal...wink, wink)
Canada Customs, Bluewater Bridge
Retail, Pantorama again.
Salvation Army Halfway House worker, adult offenders from Burrits Rapids
Residential Youth Worker, 12-18 year-old-boys
Children's Mental Health Worker, 6-12 year olds
Software Developer
Software Arhcitect
Development Manager
Independent Software Consutlant
Senior Software Developer and Security Consultant.

That's a pretty wide variety, and I'm sure I missed a few (I'm certain I wasa paid nude art model at one point too). During my university years at Carleton, I was working about 20 hours per week part-time in order to afford school and my roomates often joked about "Mike's Job of the Week" I changed so often. So again, I've probably forgotten a few.

And depsite the passage of years, its amazing how much of this stuff stays with you and becomes automatic. I'm still a pretty good photographer and I think my writting reflects well on my time in J-school and at the Echo. To this day I cannot actually shop at the Bay. When I walk in, I get the "thousand yard stare" and immediately go into seeking shoplifters. I helped my old co workers make at least two arrests months and years after I was no longer a Loss Prevention Officer. And yesterday, I spotted a "booster" at Rona, and informed the staff.

Luckily, my dancing skills aren't what they once were.

;)

So, to play along, I tag the following:

Olaf at the Prairie Wrangler
Red Tory
James Bow
JJ at Unrepentant Old Hippie
John at Dymaxions World

Have at 'er.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger Beijing York said...

Male Exotic Dancer :-)

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Mike said...

:D

Oh the things you'll do when you are young, poor and willing.

As I said over at balb's, it wasn't exactly "free" - I did have to make some "payments" on a regular installment plan, but, I enjoyed to job so it really wasn't "work"...

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Beijing York said...

As I pointed out on my list over there, I was a "hostess" in a Tokyo men's club for a few weeks :-)

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you Mike McHugh? Martha Perkins from the Echo wants to know! :)

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Martha,

Good to hear from you!

Nope, not that Mike. Think back to the Summer of '87 when Doug Rate was killed...I worked the summer Jay Kerr Wilson started.

I don't think Len liked me too much, but I did have a pretty good time working there that summer.

Drop me a note offline if you want to chat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home