Monday, January 19, 2009

A Quiet Month?

Not a lot of postings out of me lately. Yes, I am the master of the obvious.

I've been experiencing a bit of blog burnout lately. Oh, as some know, I still visit and comment, but the fire that once roared in me, that caused me to write at great length, to pontificate about my favourite subjects and to attack my regular whipping boys just does not burn as hot as it once did.

Ottawa bus strike? Feh, I can work from home just as easily as go to the office. Nothing is really going to change if they solve it or not.

President Obama? Well, better than Bush, but then it doesn't take much to do that. I'm hopeful he'll shut Gitmo and get some justice for Khadr, but I don't think he'll be able to do anything about the economy. And I think a lot of lefties, liberals and progressives will be sorely disappointed by that. We lefties tend to eat our own, even if it ends up hurting us in the long run. Just ask Bob Rae and Mike Harris. Obama may be ok, but he may also be a great disappointment.

The return of Parliament? Yawn. More lies from the Conservatives, more waffling from the Liberals. More bellowing from the NDP and the Bloc. And all of them will continue to take my money and use it for things I do not support. We will have more of the same, especially since Iggy has pretty much kyboshed the coalition.

Gaza? Israel is wrong and in my opinion has committed war crimes. In doing so they have actually strengthened Hamas, rather than weakened it and in the end what was gained except for the needless deaths of 1300+ people, almost 1/3 of which were innocent children. For what? To stop meaningless rocket attacks that have killed 4 people in 8 years and can't even damage a road? To show how tough the IDF is? To help Livini get elected? I guess just saying that makes me antisemitic. So be it. It jsut so happnes to also be the truth.

Yet again, we have people who pretend to be intellegent trying to have debates about taking away the right of bodily integrity of other people, a right they themselves would not have to give up. Somehow that's supposed to make you nuanced. Or something. Of course, it rather fits in to yet a new round of fetus fetishist dogmatic hysteria about donuts and secret parliamentary caucuses, while the spread the same old debunked lies and horse shit.

What else is there?

So far the new year has been pretty dull and merely marked by "more of the same" - I make a few comments and get called antisemitic, or looked down upon for daring to suggest that perhaps the government is NOT to be trusted with a monopoly on urban public transit. The constant battle with partisans who refuse to listen, the rehashing of old debates and battles, the yawning chasm of ignorance has really turned me off lately.

I've got other things on the go - a little writing, a little reading, some iPhone and Android development and coaching my son's hockey team. All of that is worlds more important than trying to convince someone for the millionth time that enslaving the bodies of half the population isn;t a good idea, that evolution is a fact, that government is often the problem not the solution and that Israel has no right to act exactly like those that have victimized its people in the past. I can't really talk to the walls out there any more.

So, if I get inspired, I'll be back, but for now, I may comment every now and again on some of my regular haunts. Call it a break, a hiatus - things will be very quiet from here on out.

Later.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:22 AM, Blogger Frank Frink said...

Don't forget the annual January-February blahs, Mike. ;-)

I know where you're coming from on this. I've been experiencing a similar ennui for the past few months. Best to just cut back, visit a few regular haunts and lay low.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Simon said...

Hey Mike I know how you feel...but as Frank points out this time of the year doesn't help. Besides since I notice the same symptoms everywhere I also think that everyone is a bit burned out from all the dramatic events unfolding around us. We've had two elections, the Coalition excitement, and now the Great Recession. Toss that into the 24-hour news cycle and the idiot blogosphere and it's enough to overwhelm anyone. It must be hard for a rational guy like you to have to put up with so much ignorance. I on the other hand figure if you can't beat them...join them. So it's not so painful. In fact, after an hour or two on YouTube I'm so numb I could cut my leg off and not even notice. :)
Just blog a little less and do all those great things you've been meaning to do forever.
And before you know it it will be Spring...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home