Thursday, February 12, 2009

Your Tax Dollars at Work - now with Mea Culpa Update

Mea Culpa Update:

When I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

I am willing to man up and admit it. In my anger below, I called for Shaidle to be removed from the show and clearly, from what stageleft tells me at his place and in IRC, that would have been a huge mistake. La Shaidle, for all her bluster, was totally out of her league, and it showed. If I were an opponent of the Atheist Bus Campaign, I'd be writing angry letter's to TVO to complain about showing their side to be so bad by having a pitiful boob like her representing it. It wasn't close to fair.

My fear was that, once again as has happened in the past, she would get all of the cachet, all of the respectability, all of the credibility one gets from being on such a show, without having to defend or reveal the vile opinions she is known for while hiding behind the seemingly inocous label of "religious writer". That is, she would reap the benefits of exposure in TVO without any of the risks of exposure.

Well, apparently Steve Paiken and the other guests proved me wrong.

I'm still a little upset at TVO for the poor vetting job they did. And I think the email and phone calls from earlier today served to alert everyone at TVO what to expect - I think it would have been a very different show had we not wrote or called.

That being said, I should not have called for her to be taken off the program. That was wrong. Simply informing TVO of her stances and requesting they call her on it and challenge her beliefs should have been enough.

I won't make that mistake again, because clearly, and ironically for Shaidle, free speech and freedom of the press works. Better than any ban, better than having her forced off the show.

Irony is not dead.

=================================================================


Via Scott Tribe and Warren Kinsella, we discover that, perhaps as part some effort to stimulate the economy n Toronto, Kathy Shaidle of "Five Feet of Fury" (formerly Relapsed Catholic) is scheduled to be a guest on TVO's "The Agenda" discussing the Atheist Bus Ads coming to Canada.

Of course, as they have done in the past, TVO will likely (mis) label La Shaidle as a "Religious Columnist" or "Catholic Writer". And, they likely won't challenge her on her beliefs, such as these:


· On Islam: "...your religion is fucking retarded...ungrateful beligerent foreign savages...These are people who love watching beheading videos on the internet...A sick, sick religion. Basically Scientology with bombs. Pathetic whiny losers."
· On Muslim and Pakistani immigrants: "Muslims...most of them can't even read...What we really need to do is stop immigration from Pakistan and other crazy Muslim countries filled with illiterate, violent tribal peasants..."
· On Muslim children: they are “parasites.”
· On a group of Muslim students who object to some statements by Mark Steyn: they are “motherfucking parasites.”
· On Muslims: "Muslims always have to be on top, in reverse proportion to their ability to do anything with competence or creativity."
· On Indians: they are “parasites” who “extorted tax dollars [for] booze, smokes and junk food. Not to mention free everything else, including university educations they don't bother getting.”
· On blacks: “…there is nothing ‘compelling’ about a black man impregnating a white woman. In more than one Toronto neighbourhood, that's what they call Saturday night.”
· On the only people who can get excited about Barack Obama: “black, stupid or both.”
· On Jamaicans: “Just think of how much Jamaican immigrants contribute to our culture and economy: monotonous, illiterate music that all sounds the same, filthy hairstyles, those little tricoloured Rasta doohickies.”
· On the blacks of New Orleans: they are “pathetic losers” who cannot have their IQs raised “a single point.”
· On the poor: they are poor because they are “too lazy and stupid to a) finish high school and/or b) keep their pants on.…I don’t care about the poor. They’re no more real than Bigfoot.”
· On AIDS: “From the beginning, AIDS activism has been more about mainstreaming the gay "lifestyle" than saving lives.”
· On Sikhs: "Backward foreigners [who] shit on hand that feeds them...Unable to invent their own iconic product due to too much time spent worshipping monkeys and cows, setting women on fire and obsessing over imperceptible differences in each other's skin colour..."
· On blind people: "Giving blind people real jobs...is not working out."
· On Chinese: "[They are] spitting and shooting snot on the sidewalk...throwing broken crates of rotten bock choy all over Spadina Avenue [and] eating dubious, illegal foodstuffs" [and cause SARS.]

Shaidle is as much a "Religious Writer" as Joseph Gobbels is a "Marketing Expert" or David Duke is a "Race Relations Guru". Having her represent, obviously, the Christian side of this debate should be an insult to Christians - as wrong as I think they are, I'm quite certain this bile spewing little hateful creature certainly does not nor should not speak for any Christians.

Frankly, I'm getting a bit tired of my hard earmed money being stolen from me then used to give legitimacy to scum like Shaidle without challenging her preposterous beliefs.

There are many more reasonable people out there who can represent whatever point of view she represents. Shaidle should not be given ANY legitimacy for ANY view. Especially not by a publicly funded station.

To that end, I am asking people to contact TVO - write here or directly at askTVO@tvo.org or call them at 1.800.INFO.TVO or 416.484.2665 - and demand that

  • Kathy Shaidle be removed from the show and replaced with another guest, due to her hate filled view points; or
  • Steve Paikin challenge her disgusting views and that she be properly labelled as the far-right bigot she is.
I'm going to both call and write.

Kathy Shaidle can say whatever uniformed hate-filled nonsense she wants. She just can't do it with my tax money and she can't hide behind the pleasant sounding "Religious Writer" moniker to do it.

Update:

La Shaidle is getting scared and trying to strike back. Here's my response from Scott's comments, unabridged:

LOL, what a toad.

Clearly she is feeling the heat, so she's trying to stir more support form the mouth breathers at SDA.

Well as a former Torontonian that loved spending time on Spadina, allow me to respond:

"Countless Chinese people in Toronto DO hoark on the sidewalk — which is a known spreader of disease."

Well, as do many white folks in the subway. At least the Chinese immagrants are courteous enough to wear surgical masks when they are actually sick, no matter what it looks like.

"They DO leave broken crates of bok choy on Spadina"

Well, they leave lettuce in Kennsington Market, and dead fish in St. Lawrence market. So what?

"And they DO eat what are, in my humble opinion, dubious, possibly illegal foodstuffs."

Well they do eat food that is also quite delicious. No one really gives a flying fuck what your spit-flecked opinion is. Its not like you are known for your culinary expertise anyway.

If anyone want's great Szechuan, to to Kom Jug Yuen on Spadina just south of Grossman's (where lots of white guys spit on the floor). The food is fantastic, and I don't care what it is.

"Ever eaten street food in Beijing? Ever left your house, let alone the country?"

Not Beijing, but in Boroda, Mumbai and Cartegena many times. Quite good if you go to the right place. Meanwhile, the worst food poisoning I ever got was from a Red Lobster in Ottawa. In short, Kathy, yes, so piss off.

"Try harder. The truth is often unpleasant."

No the truth is merely true. Your twisted vision is what is unpleasant.

"Frankly, I wish TVO WOULD cancel me tonight. I’d rather stay home and watch Falling Down again."

No, you want them to cancel because you are afraid you'll actually have to answer for your crap now, instead of spewing it in a hermetically sealed echo chamber like SDA or on a commentless blog like your own without being held to account. You're afraid people will finally see you for what you are and your little cyber pan-handling will end when the rubes who have been giving you money see you for what you really are.

You know, I've almost changed my mind. I hope you go on and Paikin takes you to town.

Enjoy your session tonight. I expect it will be your last invite to TVO.

Typical cowardly behaviour. When you are about to be held to account, scream and yell and try to divert attention away from yourself.

Pitiful.

Upperdate:

So, who thinks Chet is right? Anyone? Yeah, I thought so too....

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the sheep go: 4 legs good, 2 legs bad! 2 legs good, 4 legs bad!

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Yawn. Yeah, whatever anonytard. You want her on the air, send her some money. I don't and as long as the government steals my money to pay for this, I'm going to at least try to have my say in what my money pays for.

I'm not entirely sure she has been honest with TVO, because when I talked to the Customer Relations person, they were pretty surprised about the kind of stuff she has written (funny how they still think she runs Relapsed Catholic eh?).

They wanna keep her on? Be my guest, just be honest about who she is and what she stands for. And I'll do my best to ensure my money doesn't pay for it.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Right f-ing on.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Don't hold back JJ, you can say fuck on my blog. I don't mind a few cunts thrown around either.

In the mean time, relish in the irony of being called a conformist, unthinking sheep with a predictable "Animal Farm" reference by an anonymous coward.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger JimBobby said...

Whooee! I mentioned somewhere else that I'd like to see Paiken grilling Shaidle over those quotes. Maybe if enough of us email ol' egghead Steve P, he'll take the hint.

JB

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger JimBobby said...

I managed to post that list of Shaidle quotes on TVO's discussion board concerning tonight's show. In a bizarre twist, most of the discussion is actually about the topic. I'm not sure my post will stay on accounta Shaidle's language (hate and off-colour).

Also, I wrote to TVO as amember and donor under my real name and advised them of Shaidle's quotes and that I'll be finding it difficult to support TVO in the future.

JB

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Beijing York said...

Wasn't Chuckles McVety available?

(Perhaps he's busy advising Stockboy Day on the proposed ethernet tapping legislation.)

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Mike said...

JB,

Apparently Warren K has spoken to Steve P and he was unaware of her colourful background - so he too is going to be speaking to the producer.

Pity that this might turn into something about her, when the actual topic of the show - the Atheist Bus comes to Canada - is far more interesting and important.

Beijing,

Yes I'm sure the "Dr." was unable to appear. I wonder how the Liberals will deal with that little poison pill?

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger skdadl said...

I wrote to Paikin's blog at The Agenda, as I see some others have. I suspect that the grilling is the best we can hope for, but with a bit of pressure, he might make it good.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Skinny Dipper said...

Sorry, Beijing.

I think McVD is scheduled for Coren tonight. The topics are "Should Negroes be allowed to sit at the front of the bus? Should they be allowed to drink from the same water fountain as good wholesome white folks? Should Negro children be allowed to go to white schools? Will they go to hell?"

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Skinny Dipper said...

I'm being sarcaustic.

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...your religion is fucking retarded...ungrateful beligerent foreign savages

<Kathy Shaidle>Me spell belligerent good one day!</Kathy Shaidle>

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger The Artful Nudger said...

"...with a predictable "Animal Farm" reference..."

You'd think, at least, he could get it right.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger thwap said...

I won't say what this white boy did in the subway once.

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger Somena Woman said...

Good on ya Mike. I very much enjoy it when somebody admits that they have made a mistake. After all, doing so is only admitting that we are perhaps wiser and better informed today than we were before.

That being said -- There is nothing wrong with boycotts. Particularly when tax-dollars are being spent. Freedom of speech does not negate freedom of association. Freedom of speech guarantees that Shaidle should not be prevented from speaking out - or writing or any expression... IT does not guarantee her a soaphox to stand on, a printing press to publish, or a radio or TV show to air.

Nobody is under any obligation to listen to, or read Shaidle... and people should be free to excercise their freedom of association by boycotting a TV station (govt funded) that provides the oyxgen of publicity to people like Shaidle.

That's the argument on moral grounds...When it comes to tactics however -- I agreed with StageLeft... but tactics and morality are sometimes mutually exclusive - and both should be considered.

wv= ponser

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Alison said...

free speech and freedom of the press works. Better than any ban

... which always was your default opinion anyway, Mike.

So La Shaidle peed on herself this time. I agree with your mea culpa position but as tougher economic times bear down we can expect to see a rise in xenophobia of all stipes and then it might be time to review how much of it we condone on air.

Heh. The word verification is "angst"

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Alison,

I should have known better but I despise Shaidle so much that I let my emotions overcome my judgment.

I agree with what Meaghan said.

I won't let my emotions overcome my better senses again.

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should have had faith. Steve Paiken is tha man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home